Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The God who paints things with beauty

"Truly the gods, which I worship, are idols of stone that do not speak nor feel. . . Some very powerful, hidden and unknown god is the creator of the entire universe. He is the only one that can console me in my affliction and help me in such anguish as my heart feels; I want him to be my helper and protection." 

--Nezahualcoyotl, literally "Coyote Who Fasts" or "Hungry Coyote" - philosopher, warrior, architect, poet and ruler in pre-Columbian Mexico. (1402-1472).

During his reign he built a pyramid to the "God who paints things with beauty." From "The God Who Paints" by Keila Ochoa, in Our Daily Bread, April 19, 2016 and Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nezahualcoyotl.

He is best remembered for his poetry, but according to accounts by his descendants and biographers, he had an experience of an "Unknown, Unknowable Lord of Everywhere" to whom he built an entirely empty temple in which no blood sacrifices of any kind were allowed — not even those of animals. 

One of his poems appears in tiny print on the face of the 100 peso note:
Amo el canto del zenzontle
Pájaro de cuatrocientas voces,
Amo el color del jade
Y el enervante perfume de las flores,
Pero más amo a mi hermano, el hombre.

I love the song of the mocklngbird,
Bird of four hundred voices,
I love the color of the jadestone
And the intoxicating scent of flowers,
But more than all I love my brother, man.


















No comments:

Post a Comment